The Pembroke Curling Centre recognizes the vital role spares play in filling in for regular league curlers who may be absent from time to time. Spares normally should only play the position of the curler they are replacing or a lower position. A team may have no more than two spares playing in one game; otherwise, the game is forfeited in favour of the opposition. In such situations, the teams may choose to play on for fun, with three/four spares and/or with players shared among the two teams.
It is important to note that the Spare Policy does not replace the requirement that curlers must contact every member of the spare list for the league where the spare is required, including bye team members if applicable, before reaching out to a spare from a different league or from outside the PCC.
Registered members of the PCC can spare as follows:
- Unlimited curlers (those who have registered and paid to regularly curl 2 or more times per week), may sign up to spare in any league as part of the registration process, and curl in a sparing role for no additional cost.
- Full-year unlimited curlers have no restriction on the number of times they may spare during the season.
- Half-year unlimited curlers also have no restriction on the number of times they may spare, however, they may only spare in the half of the season they have registered.
- Single draw curlers (those who have registered and paid to regularly curl 1 time per week), may sign up to spare in any league as part of the registration process, however, they must pay a sparing fee of $15 per occasion, prior to stepping onto the ice. The member pays the fee at the bar and logs the sparing activity in the Spare Book at the bar.
- Full-year single draw curlers may spare up to a total of 7 times in regular league play during the curling season.
- Half-year single draw curlers may spare up to a total of 4 times; however, they may only spare in the half of the season they have registered.
Members of the public who are not registered members of the PCC can spare provided, before stepping onto the ice, they:
- Sign a waiver at the bar that relieves the PCC of all liability;
- Pay $20 at the bar and log the sparing activity in the Spare Book; and,
- Spare no more than a total of 3 times in regular league play during the curling season.
- The Skip ensures that any spare on his/her team: i) signs the Spare Book; ii) pays the applicable spare fee; and, iii) for a non-member spare only, signs the waiver form.
- The Director, Membership ensures that: i) a current list of PCC Members and their membership category; and ii) a supply of waiver forms, are kept at the bar near the Spare Book.
Board of Directors
Revised July 2022